[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 30, Issue 12

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Fri Feb 29 08:42:39 EST 2008

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Jennifer Rowland wrote:
> Aimee wrote:
>> Now, if I could only find a full-time, well-paying job that would
>> allow me to spend my time recommending and buying books for a library...
>> And doing copious "research"...
>> Hm. I'm sure a lot of listers have this job, or something like it.
>> Anybody?
>> Is there a downside?
>> :)
>
> Well, there's the cunning approach of being a librarian... the downside there is the "well-paying" aspect! ;P

The other downside is finding a library with acquisitions budget.
Or rather, a library with an acquisitions budget which isn't
spending it all on electronic.

I really enjoy helping my middle school teacher friend do
acquisitions for her Drop Everything and Read shelf. A couple of
times year she gets a big sum of money and we gleefully make book
lists. Her mission, with my help: turning urban thugs into
fantasy dorks since 2003.

When I was interviewing for the job I currently have I was also
interviewing for a position at a local private girls' middle
school. Gorgeous gorgeous library, huge acquisitions budget,
active book groups with the students, practically every new great
middle school and young adult fantasy novel on display on the
shelves in hardcover. I was turned between salivating with
jealousy and real anger at the educational inequities in my city,
but it was mostly salivating with jealousy. For timing reasons I
ended up having to drop out of that process, but wow. If I'd
known I had a good shot at the job (I knew they had a strong
internal candidate who they ended up hiring) I have stuck it out,
because in a lot of ways, serious dream job.

-deborah
--
The main character is a misogynistic, hermaphroditic,
heavy-drinking, ultra-cynical aardvark. It's an acquired taste.