[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 30, Issue 12

Joe Nankivell oddenda at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 08:37:19 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Jennifer Rowland <janamouse at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Aimee wrote:
> > Now, if I could only find a full-time, well-paying job that would
> > allow me to spend my time recommending and buying books for a library...
> > And doing copious "research"...
> > Hm. I'm sure a lot of listers have this job, or something like it.
> > Anybody?
> > Is there a downside?
> > :)
>
> Well, there's the cunning approach of being a librarian... the downside
> there is the "well-paying" aspect! ;P
> Or there are lots of library and/or school book suppliers that do
> selections these days. Almost certainly better-paying, because that is not a
> difficult thing to achieve. Book reviewing?  Bookblogging with such verve,
> wit and intelligence that your thoughts become required reading for all in
> the library world,  your tentacles of influence stretching across many
> lands, new authors living or dying by your recommendation?
> Jennifer
> (Now back to buying books for the library. Nonparametric Statistics with
> Applications to Science and Engineering, or The Analysis of Cross-classified
> Categorical Data? It's a tough one.)

Ah - you've just nailed the _other_ downside: "buying books" covers rather a
lot of ground. On my desk at the moment: "Head injury: the facts" (yuk),
"Foundations of marketing" (snore), "Irish tort legislation" (double snore -
unless, of course, it's what you're into). Want me to go on?

Of course, I don't get to choose them; I just have to buy them. And look at
them when they arrive. ("Diseases of the sheep: a colour atlas"...)

Joe