[DWJ] Re: Quiet List

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Feb 27 04:45:43 EST 2008

I've been working like a madwoman and trying to promote our Hebrew edition
of "Journey to the River Sea". Check out some of the illustrations on my
blog, created for our edition by a talented young illustrator named Keren
Taggar:

http://www.notes.co.il/gili/40417.asp

One publicity gig I was put up to was to recommend five books for young
readers for a major internet portal (it had to be five, no self promotion):

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3511030,00.html

I picked books that I feel deserve to be classics but are relatively unknown
in Israel, and tried to provide as wide as possible a range of
recommendations, hence: "Understood Betsy" by Dorothy Canfield Fisher,
"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell, "Holes" by Louis Sachar,
"Good Omens" by Pratchett and Gaiman and an Israeli book called "The Buried
Heart" by Shimon Adaf. One of the readers who responded expressed amazement
that I had not recommended any books by Diana Wynne Jones. I'm not quite
sure if this is e a reader who recognises me and knows that I ALWAYS
recommend Diana Wynne Jones, or someone who just happens to be a fellow fan!