[DWJ] 1st person (was Sayers and Meg Cabot v. DWJ)

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Sat Feb 2 20:36:37 EST 2008

Minnow said:
> Oh.  I felt that her 'secret' was blown after the first daylight
> meeting
> with Adam: the moment she cared about his hands, it was clear she
> knew
> him, certainly, after which all the rest made sense from the other
> direction, as it were.  The relationship with the grandfather
> certainly
> made no sense as a fake, lots of sense as reality.  And in
> retrospect at
> that point the whole business of the tell-tale driving-licence was
> clear, not lied about by the narrator.

Ah!  But I was a young and naive reader when I first picked up the Ivy
Tree and quite prepared to completely believe everything the narrator was
telling everyone (including me, I thought).  It was one of my first
experiences with a tricky narrator and I was not a happy camper!  Plus,
it is particularly effective (if that's what we want to call it) because
she is an outsider just like the reader is an outsider but then suddenly
she's an insider.... and I still felt like an outsider.

Jackie