[DWJ] New Introduction

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Dec 31 22:46:29 EST 2008

My name is Otter [really!  Just look at my passport], I'm female, 61,
and now live in southwest Colorado, having always previously lived
in places in the USofA much farther east and much more humid.

Melissa is probably my closest list neighbor and she's about 350
miles away.  [You know:  In England, a hundred miles is a long
way, and in the USofA, a hundred years is a long time.]

I've been reading DWJ since -- oh, say -- about 1980.  I don't what
my first was, but I suspect it was _The Magicians of Caprona_.

I'm also a ginormous Terry Pratchett fan, to whom I was introduced
by a fellow employee at a bookstore.  He was a Neil Gaiman and he
handed me a copy of _Good Omens_ and said I should read it.  People
other than my sister are rarely correct about this, but, as it happens,
he was.  That was in 1995.  For those of you who may not be aware
of it, the more you have read of everything in the world, the better
you will like Pratchett.  Sir Terry, I should say.

I was introduced by this list to Lois MacMaster Bujold and Megan
Whelan Turner.  Oh, and Charles Butler, of course.  And others
I can't remember at the moment.

My reading in general is varied.  I don't read genres so much as
I read authors.

I don't like Harry Potter.  I've read all of them except the last
one, but I stopped buying them after about the third, which is
about as damning a statement as I can make about any author.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries
in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO - What a Ride!"