[DWJ] authorial intent [was: endings]

Wed Dec 31 16:36:39 EST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:43:50 -0500 (EST), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>> I've been meaning to ask how it went, teaching _Twilight_ to those students
>> of yours.
>
>We read it with Mahy's _The Changeover_ (which they mostly
>disliked, the silly moppets)

And they didn't like _Flora Segunda_ either.  What *do* they teach them in
school these days?  I like the comparison between Sorry and Edward.

>It was tough, because I wanted the passionately in-love students
>to be able to step back and say "Edward appeals in fiction for
>the following reasons but that maybe doesn't correspond in real
>life" and the passionately angry students to be able to see what
>in the romance appeals to so many.  It was harder for them than
>with any other book we read, I think, to be unemotional about
>their responses.

I think that's true across the board for almost every reader of the series.
It's unfortunate, though, because that kind of critical distancing makes all
the difference between simply being obsessed and actually getting something
positive from that reading.  Still--you are VERY brave to have done this.

Melissa Proffitt