[DWJ] endings [was Best of 2008]

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 11:59:45 EST 2008

> In TOD, DWJ also killed off the title-character, The Ogre himself, and
> someone at the publishers re-wrote the ending and sent it back to her
> with him surviving and a grand reconciliation scene and for some reason
> fluffy footballs or something.  It was so completely un-DWJ that rather
> than have that stuck on the end DWJ re-wrote it to have a happy ending
> instead of her original, cursing and muttering.  This would not happen
> to her these days, but back then she had to do as she was told.

Drat, this is terribly disappointing! I've always liked that aspect of TOD, that adults who seem like perfect horrors might not necessarily be so hard to deal with once you get used to them. OTOH, it certainly explains why the Ogre can beat Malcolm on one page and be perfectly reasonable on another - I always thought that was an example of the difference between British and Swedish childcare! (In a way, I suppose it still is, in that if such a meddling editor had lived here, he would probably have gone "uh, no" at the beating as well if he wanted that reconciliatory ending.)

And I'm also well aware that my reaction is that of an adult, which is a betrayal of my inner child - as a child I usually wanted nasty characters horribly and irrevocably punished.

Katta