[DWJ] endings [was Best of 2008]

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 03:32:39 EST 2008

2008/12/29 Phil Boswell <phil.boswell at gmail.com>

> on 2008/12/29 Charlie Butler <charles.hannibal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > To be fair, I don't think I've seen anyone say that it's not valid for an
> > author to have an intention.
>
> To be fair again, that's not what I was responding to, rather what
> appeared to be a tongue-in-cheek statement: "Not that the author's
> intention is a valid thing, of course" ... in other words stating that
> whatever intention the author might have had is invalid.

Dear Phil

There are a minimum of three people involved in any work: the author, the
editor, and the reader.

Algis Budrys wrote a paper, that should be compulsory reading for all
literary critics, "Nonliterary Influences on Science Fiction."  In this he
explains carefully, from the point of view of a writer working in magazines
and paperback, how many people's "intentions" go to shape a story.

cheers
Farah