[DWJ] authorial intent [was: endings]

Mon Dec 29 16:22:03 EST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:27:44 -0500 (EST), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>The skill of reading critically involves looking at the text and
>making one's own judgements about what it says, rather than about
>what one is told it says.  (That being said, sometimes author's
>stated intent is valid context for that discussion.  I just had a
>student incorporate Stephenie Meyer's opinions about her own
>books into a paper, in order to show something interesting about
>the distance between Meyer's stated intent and what the books
>actually do.)

I've been meaning to ask how it went, teaching _Twilight_ to those students
of yours.

My latest encounter with _Twilight_:  a friend whose husband has recently
discovered that he is gay was reading at least the first volume of the
series as a metaphor for their relationship.  It seems to have given her
great comfort.

Melissa Proffitt