[DWJ] endings [was Best of 2008]

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 12:02:05 EST 2008

On 2008/12/23 Minnow <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
> (Not that the author's intention is a valid thing, of course, but in my
> simple way I do feel that I'd rather know about it...)

I've seen variations on this elsewhere, and I still find it an
extraordinary thing to even contemplate the possibility of thinking
about saying.

What can possibly be any more valid than the author's intention?

I suppose I must be frightfully out of touch if I think it is the
height of arrogance for anybody but the creator of a work to say what
it is intended to mean. I just have this image in my head of a bunch
of people standing around the poor put-upon author, pointing nasty
puffed-up literary fingers, yelling in broken unison "well, of course
what you *meant* to say was..."

Of course, I then dream of the author biting off those fingers in the
manner of a velociraptor while incanting "if I had meant that, I would
have written it", so maybe I ought to lay off the cheese for a bit.

HTH HAND
--
Phil