[DWJ] Another best of 2008

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 28 05:31:24 EST 2008

This isn't exactly the best of my reading year- rereads of Dorothy L. Sayers for the umpteenth time, for example, are hard to beat. This is the best of the new. (Or new-ish, anyway.)

Carnival, Elizabeth Bear (Made me very late for work as I couldn't tear myself away to get ready.)
A Companion to Wolves, Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear (Chewy and deep and harsh and satisfying)
Bad Magic, Stephan Zeilinski (Nearly too much for my grue-ometer but worth it. Really
imaginative urban fantasy; not a mislabelled paranormal romance.)
Mainspring, Jay Lake (Except for where the hero
meets a happy primitive tribe with a deep connection to the earth. Still, the setting makes up for a lot.)
Bareback, Kit Whitman (Dystopic urban fantasy; a world where 99% of the population are werewolves and "barebacks" have to police the full moon curfew- a good read.)
The Sky People, S. M. Stirling (Colonists on Venus, with dinosaurs!)
Little Brother, Cory Doctorow (yes, it is what the reviews say it is. Wow.)
Larklight, Philip Reeve (spiffing)
The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman (I love Gaiman's chldren's books. This is spooky and excellent.)
China Mieville, Un Lun Dun (Mieville's imagination and
subversiveness without his normal tendency to be hideously depressing.
And UnLondon goes onto the short list of fantasy places I'd actually
like to visit.)

These writers are ones where I finally caught up with the end of a series from a couple of years ago, or their series is ongoing, or whatever; anyway, series books where the latest one I read lived up to the earlier ones.
Kage Baker
Sherwood Smith
Jonathan Stroud
Megan Whalen Turner
Charles Stross
Gideon Defoe (The Pirates are consistently amusing)
Bujold- I can't say I like the Sharing Knife books as much as her other series, but I thought Legacy was an improvement on the first one
Jo Walton
Charlaine Harris
And DWJ, of course!

Non-fiction
Dry Store Room No. 1, Richard Fortey (Fortey may be my favourite science writer these days. Loved this.)
Charlie Brooker (so very grumpy. So very entertaining.)
Dave Langford, of course.

Looking at that list, I realise I do like urban fantasy after all- it's just pararnormal romance that annoys me.
Jennifer