[DWJ] Dragonhaven

Ros rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 24 07:51:56 EST 2008

I recently read _Dragonhaven_ and had something of a love-hate relationship
with it.

What I loved: the portrayal of the baby dragon, the attempt to come to grips
with the alien species concept, the communication and whole dragon language
thing.

What annoyed me: the voice of the protagonist, which didn't always ring true
to me as that of a teenage boy and which sometimes just plain irritated me.
McKinley seems to be too obviously reaching for that voice somehow. I guess
I liked the ideas behind the book, and the concreteness of vividness of the
experiences
recounted - it had a strong emotional punch and some scenes have stayed with
me - but I didn't always enjoy the reading of it. Hard to explain.
I guess it isn't *really* a love-hate relationship - I loved parts of it and
aspects of it but 'hate' would be far too strong to express my reservations
- but the
experience of reading it was somewhat ambivalent. I didn't have that
reaction at all with _Sunshine_, which I loved.

My Best of 2008 list will be coming soon...

Ros