[DWJ] endings [was Best of 2008]

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Dec 23 17:17:44 EST 2008

On Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley Jadwiga wrote:

>As usual, I feel like I'm the only one who actually liked this book. Which
>is ok. Part of it may be that the narrator's voice is very much like
>McKinley's blog voice, which I'd already been reading for a while. I felt
>like I was being shown Jake's state of mind through his narration; but
>perhaps only a few people could feel connected to that alleged state of
>mind. The legal/political problem that drives the plot is all too
>believable to me, but then I've worked in Non-Profits, as a librarian, in
>the US, for years.

I did enjoy this book, but I wasn't so enthralled by it that I remember it
in any great detail.

>There are definitely three endings, and they do feel--
>odd. I thought they were supposed to; but I can see how it would be
>maddening. I don't think I liked the last ending, it has an "alternative
>ending for Podkayne of Mars" feel to it.

Maybe the ending of 'Podkayne' jars because it isn't what the author
intended, and doesn't quite say what the author meant it to say, which the
original that we now have available to look at did do -- as with *The Ogre
Downstairs*, which was published with its ending severely changed at the
insistence of the publisher.

(Not that the author's intention is a valid thing, of course, but in my
simple way I do feel that I'd rather know about it...)

I don't think that McK wrote something different and had to change it, with
the original only appearing after her death, though.  She's an author for
the publisher to avoid messing about, would be my feeling -- just as DWJ
would not nowadays be obliged to change a book's ending just because a
publisher's wonk re-wrote the last chapter and then said 'either you do as
I say or we publish it with my fluffy purple footballs'...  She would tell
that publisher's wonk to take a long jump off a short pier if they were to
try it on.

Minnow