[DWJ] Best of 2008

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Dec 23 12:59:27 EST 2008

Melissa wrote:

>  I really
wanted to like _East of the Sun, West of the Moon_ but the storytelling
style was...there is a specific kind of style that makes a "telling" story
(as opposed to a "showing" story) work really well, that hinges on the
narrator's voice being unique and interesting, and this just didn't have
that.

The book is acutally called "Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow", but I was too lazy
to look it up. But yes, I agree with your analysis. Though there were some
interesting ideas with the embroidered curse and the likes, it just was not
new enough.

> The irony is that Jessica George and I were in the same reading group
for a few years, and all the same people who hated _The Dollmage_ because it
was "telling, not showing" thought _East of the Sun_ was just fabulous.

Huh. I read "The Dollmage" at your recommendation and don't remember feeling
that it was "telling, not showing". I rather enjoyed it.

> My full list for the year still to come....

Looking forward to it!