[DWJ] Best of 2008

Tue Dec 23 12:30:37 EST 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:58:57 +0900, Anita Graham wrote:

>Gili wrote:
>
>"Dragon Slippers" by Jessica Day George was a surprisingly refreshing twist
>on the old girl-meets-dragon plot. A good, fun book."
>
>And I'm using that to connect to a very disappointing book on the
>"boy-meets-dragon" plot: Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley.
>I hung out for months for the pb to be available in Australia.
>
>I loved Spindles End and liked Sunshine even though the narrator does tend
>to carry on a bit, but the narrator of Dragonhaven is incredibly verbose and
>mostly has nothing to say. The problem that drives the plot is extremely
>farfetched AND badly explained, and each plot development is visible
>chapters away. In the end I felt I was wading through words that meant
>nothing.

Ahh, a fellow sufferer!  The political/legal problem that sets everything up
completely drove me out of the story.  I never finished it.  It made me
extremely sad.

I liked _Dragon Slippers_ after about the first third of the book; the
material was necessary to the plot, but it felt badly paced to me.  I really
wanted to like _East of the Sun, West of the Moon_ but the storytelling
style was...there is a specific kind of style that makes a "telling" story
(as opposed to a "showing" story) work really well, that hinges on the
narrator's voice being unique and interesting, and this just didn't have
that.  The irony is that Jessica George and I were in the same reading group
for a few years, and all the same people who hated _The Dollmage_ because it
was "telling, not showing" thought _East of the Sun_ was just fabulous.

My full list for the year still to come....

Melissa Proffitt