[DWJ] Best of 2008

Anita Graham anita at joli.com.au
Mon Dec 22 20:58:57 EST 2008

Gili wrote:

"Dragon Slippers" by Jessica Day George was a surprisingly refreshing twist
on the old girl-meets-dragon plot. A good, fun book."

And I'm using that to connect to a very disappointing book on the
"boy-meets-dragon" plot: Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley.
I hung out for months for the pb to be available in Australia.

I loved Spindles End and liked Sunshine even though the narrator does tend
to carry on a bit, but the narrator of Dragonhaven is incredibly verbose and
mostly has nothing to say. The problem that drives the plot is extremely
farfetched AND badly explained, and each plot development is visible
chapters away. In the end I felt I was wading through words that meant
nothing.

Grumpily yours,

Anita