[DWJ] Best of 2008

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun Dec 21 15:40:27 EST 2008

Mass response on a snowy day:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Elizabeth Evans wrote:
> I'm grateful for some good reading to look out for over the summer (here
> in New Zealand). It will make a nice change from reading about the
> management of preservation in libraries and archives. (Sigh.)

Aw. Management of preservation and libraries and archives is FUN.
Or at least, that's what I keep telling myself. But since I
probably originally compiled  this list instead of, you know,
managing preservation of libraries and archives, I wouldn't
recommend listening to me.

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
> It just so happens we've
> already bought the translation rights for Little Brother

Ooh, are you going to be the translator?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Mark Allums wrote:
> Can we comment about these here?  And top post?  :)

That's what makes it fun!

> I am not too keen on Cory Doctorow.  I don't know if I would want to
> introduce a child to him.  I guess it depends a bit on how one feels
> about Marxists.  (Quasi-Marxists, anyway.)

I'm not as sure of his politics as Farah is, but this is
definitely a very libertarian book. Antiauthoritarian, anyway.
It's thinly veiled polemic, but the characters are well enough
developed and the storyline has enough tension to make up for the
fact that they are all just an excuse for the didactic structure
of the text. Also, the book has the dubious distinction of being
the only novel I've ever read that made me make a charitable
donation (to the Electronic Frontier Foundation) immediately upon
finishing the book. It was frightening.

> Zoe's Tale should be good; Scalzi can write.  Some may not care for the
> work (the work aimed at adults will not appeal to everyone), but for the
> most part, what he does, he does well.

Interesting thing about Zoe's Tale is that it didn't make me want
to read the other books in the series. What it made me want was
for Scalzi to write more young adult books, preferably spinning
off from this one. But I certainly don't want to read the same
story told from an adult point of view. I liked it as a young
adult text in a way I think I wouldn't have liked it as an adult
novel.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Ehsan Roudiani wrote:
> I've recently read 'The Master of the Fallen Chairs' by Henry Porter,
> and liked that a lot. Cracking premise which I won't spoil and only
> really one criticism which would be a spoiler but didn't ruin it at all.

Fooey, looks like there isn't an American edition or a copy in any
American libraries. So much for my belief that interlibrary loan
will never fail me.

-deborah
--
I get all my ideas in Switzerland near the Forka Pass. There is a little town
called Gletch, and two thousand feet up above Gletch there is a smaller hamlet