[DWJ] Best of 2008

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sun Dec 21 09:09:10 EST 2008

Ehsan Roudiani wrote:
> I've not read any of Cory Doctorow's books yet so can't comment on
> them, but I do know him and you could very safely introduce a child to
> him! I shall have to get round to reading some of his stuff now, I am
> intrigued!
>
> I've recently read 'The Master of the Fallen Chairs' by Henry Porter,
> and liked that a lot. Cracking premise which I won't spoil and only
> really one criticism which would be a spoiler but didn't ruin it at all.
> I'm stubbornly waiting for House of Many Ways in paperback as I've
> just got too many books to buy hardbacks.
>
> Es.

I didn't mean to imply his book was not suitable, nor that it promotes
Marxism.  FYI (for those who haven't read the book):  The name of the
book is meant to invoke Orwell, and it is a warning, just as 1984 was.

Doctorow does practice what he preaches, e.g., he gives most of his
works away for free electronically.  If you are an ebook user, I expect
you will want to look him up.

Marxist or not, he does believe in freedom.

Mark Allums