[DWJ] Diana Wynne Jones Conference: Second Call for Papers

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun Aug 31 12:11:52 EDT 2008

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Charlie Butler wrote:
> On any and all aspects of the writing of Diana Wynne Jones, on her influence
> and influences. Papers on fan activity and scholarship, TV and film
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> adaptations also welcome.

ObDisclaimer: I am not affiliated with the conference except in
my hope to attend.

However, if anyone does decide to write a paper about fan
activity and includes discussions of the list in that paper, and
is an independent scholar (and therefore doesn't submit proposals
for human research to a university's Institutional Review Board),
I would like to ask that you review online research ethics. There
appear to be several chapters up online of Nancy Baym and Annette
Markham's forthcoming Internet Inquiry: Conversations about
Method, and somehow certain libraries seem to already have
copies:

http://internetinquiry.org/
http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_all&q=Internet+Inquiry%3A+Conversations+About+Method

We are of course as valid a subject of study as any other online
group, but I know there are a fair number of independent scholars
in our field, and those of us who are independent scholars don't
always have the institutional support to help us work out the
ethics of online research.

If in doubt, send me an e-mail, and I can always get you in touch
with an expert in Internet  Research Ethics.

-deborah
--
There were green alligators, and long necked geese
Humpty-backed camels and chimpanzees