[DWJ] websites (was What We've been doing instead of talking)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Aug 24 08:51:41 EDT 2008

Kait wrote:

>Well, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't (navigating on
>websites I mean). It has to do with a lot of things. Background, font size,
>pop-ups and flashes all contribute to the overall impression.

Don't they just!

>I prefer a background of pale yellow, with bold black lettering on, and
>preferably an Arial font.

You mean, like an old-fashioned book?  Goodness.

>White letters on a black background almost never works for me. Or grey on
>black, or other combinations with a bad colour contrast.

That is true for me too, and apart from using spectacles I have no problems
with my eyesight in general.  My all-time unfavourites are combinations of
black, dark green and purple: printing in any of these onto any of the
others I find illegible, always.  Anything on black, in fact, makes me
wander away and do something else rather than read it.

>Also, a site that is very cluttered up with texts and pictures is very
>confusing to me, and I can't find my way around. Mostly it leaves me with a
>head-ache and strained eyes.

Again, that is true about anything I would simply call 'cluttered', for me.
I include anything that insists on having more than three fonts, or
emboldening or italicising random words FOR no particular REASON of
emphasis, the way THAT has been fashionable AMONG advertisers for SOME time
(you can make up your own mind whether they'd've used bold or italics or
just capitals where I've used capitals there, but I don't think any is
helpful to the sense)

>So usually, I just avoid clicking on links that people send - unless they
>tell me that it is an accessible website.

And if the website insists on too much trendy garbage this machine won't go
there anyway, since it doesn't like java or flash or cookies or whatever
else.

It seems to me that websites are like much other writing in this respect:
if the people who write them want to communicate, it helps if they do it in
a language and by a means that can be easily read by a majority of the
people they would like to communicate with, rather than putting obstacles
in the way.

Minnow