[DWJ] Hello and Howl question

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 14:09:43 EDT 2008

Hi Jillizilla and welcome to the list!

It's a good set of questions. I've not read HMC super-recently, but my guess
is that Megan probably wouldn't hold with Howl's interest in magic and
spells even as a dissertation topic in Wales (which I guess she probably
would have known about), and wouldn't want to encourage him to talk about
them any more than necessary. She strikes me as the Chapel type, whether or
not she's actually religious. And what she doesn't ask, I don't think Howl
would be offering to tell. He is, after all, someone who likes to
compartmentalize his life and keep the various groups of people he knows
ignorant of each other. I think it's his rule rather than a magical rule
about non-bleeding universes: DWJ is quite fond of letting universes do a
bit of mutual bleeding!

On the other hand, if Sophie makes any visits to Wales after she and Howl
are married/engaged, I imagine he'd brief her about what to expect and how
to behave - so probably not quite like Enchanted.

You've got a lot of good reading ahead of you. Enjoy it!

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk