[DWJ] Hello and Howl question

jillizilla at yahoo.com jillizilla at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 13:51:11 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,
This is my first attempt at a post, so hopefully I'm doing it correctly. I'm a female NYCer in my early twenties, and I just discovered DWJ a few weeks ago. I'm a graduate student now, but I am certified to teach elementary school and spent some time doing so, so I am a great lover and appreciator of children's lit. Someone recommended HMC to me, and I don't think my life will ever be the same. It is, quite simply, one of my favorite books that I have ever read. I will now be making it a mission to devour the rest of her work, though momentarily I am working from the rather limited community-based library in a small town until I return to the big city. I'm so excited to find a DWJ mailing list.

So, while I had a few burning questions about the Howl-verse, I thought it would be interesting to see what others think about this one. It seems like Megan doesn't know about Ingary or magic or Howl's other life--do you think that is Howl's choice, or some sort of rule about not letting worlds bleed into one another? How would he have explained the witch to Megan after the attack? How would he have explained the fact that his fiancee clearly was not from Wales or anywhere like it? (I love to think of Sophie trying to function in Wales--I'm thinking Amy Adams in Enchanted.) I'm excited to see what people think, if anything, about this topic.