[DWJ] House of Many Ways

slwones at gmail.com slwones at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 09:45:53 EDT 2008

I had a slightly harder time liking Charmain...maybe because I see a bit too
much of myself in her.  In retrospect I think my parents were a little too
lenient in letting me skive off household chores in favor of reading.

I liked the reverse of convention - instead of the story being told from
Peter's point of view (having to teach an incompetent how to do these very
basic things) have the incompetent's view of being taught.  I also loved the
alpine setting and the dog was wonderfully like many dogs I've known.  It
was good to see Sophie, Howl, and Calcifer again and it's fun to see them
from other characters' points of view.

Suzanne