[DWJ] House of Many Ways

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Aug 7 14:11:26 EDT 2008

Jill asked...

>I just finished House of Many Ways.  Has everyone read it now?

Yes; I got it a couple of weeks ago while over in York for my cousin's
wedding (after every single bookshop in Dublin failed to have it, though two
admitted that their computer *thought* they had it!)

I liked it, though I'll have to read it a few more times to decide where in
my loose mental heirarchy of DWJ's books it fits.

Some thoughts (not spoilery, I don't think, but I'll put space just in
case)...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I thought the title rather misleading - it isn't specifically about the
House, nor are the Many Ways *that* important to the plot.  It's more that
the House - or at least, Charmain taking up residence there - is the
catalyst for the plot.  Uncle William's housekeepery spells are great,
though - I want them!

Charmain is a *wonderful* heroine.  Anyone who sits down and reads rather
than doing housework is a Good Egg in my book.  And I like how she gets
cross and stroppy and sulky when people try to make her do other things than
read.  And I like her magic.  I wish that when *I* yelled at inanimate
objects like that, they'd do what I told them!

Howl, as usual, inspires one to smack him upside the head.  He's really good
at being irritating.

That's about all I can think of for now.  I think it's time for the first
re-read.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for
people to work."
- Peter Drucker