Airships was Re: [DWJ] More off-topicality

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 16:01:26 EDT 2008

I was going to cite the Prayermaster's flying machine from TMC, when
they meet Nick at Romanov's place, which is "like a helicopter without
the rotors", but I don't think it'll wash. There are things called
'fliers' in other books too, but I can't think where. Is there really
no cameo from an airship in TOTC? The huge Empire machines in Deep
Secret don't come close. I think maybe the laws of gravity really apply
in DWJ's work, where lesser authors are content to stretch the
suspension of disbelief a bit further (the same as those films with
enormous CGI monsters in them that appear to have no mass).

On another tack, an ObDWJ that occurs to me relates to 'Touareg': isn't
that the name, or close to it, given to one of the peoples in Power of
Three? (My copy seems to be in deep storage. I wonder where deep
storage is these days.)

For more airship fun, there's Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series,
which I imagine everyone here read before me (though I don't recall too
much discussion of them here - were other people enthusiastic?) I got
to the last title a couple of months ago. Jaw-dropping artistry in the
final five pages. Larklight was a real damp squib afterwards.

Cheers,

Joe