[DWJ] Re Hags

Sally Odgers sodgers at Iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 8 19:11:34 EDT 2008

Thank you, oh learned ones! I take the point that a hag can be male as well,
and I did consider kelpie.  I don't wish to use something specific to one
other author (or game). I thought of Ghillie Dhu, but finally settled (at
least for now) on heather ghillie, so he can look as human as I want (so to
speak). He's just a minor character who won't appear (being another
character's great great great great etc grandfather).

I've been having an interesting time with this. My editors won't let me use
"mortal" for human (because they think it might set off some of those
witches-be-satanistic librarians (of whom I have met ONE in all my years
prowling around schools, and she didn't think that HERSELF, just said some
of her parents did!).  I've had to make up quite a few words to avoid
triggering editorial sensibilities.  My merfolk call us "flatfeet" and the
swamp pixies call us "dryfeet". I am allowed to have critter-fae (which are
imps with animal DNA - not allowed to say ovine, bovine, avian, etc) but I
have no idea if I'll be allowed to keep my mixed marriage.

If there's one thing I envy DWJ (aside from her sheer brilliance) it's her
editors! It's a bit like the impotent fury a lot of writers felt when the
whole HP phenomenon struck. And, in another ODWJM, I'm having a great time
with the audio MC, though I wish it hadn't been abridged. I'm struck afresh
by the sheer style that gives one a topple of rocks... (my editors would
problem make me chance that to a pile. Heigh-ho.)

Sally O

Sally Odgers, still spinning pearls at http://spinningpearls.blogspot.com