[DWJ] Hags

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Mon Apr 7 23:41:28 EDT 2008

Sally Odgers wrote:
> ODWJM
>
> DWJ has a lot of magic-users in her books... goddesses, enchanters,
> warlocks, witches etc. She does differentiate between good and bad
> intentions when using magic, and most (all?) of her magic-users are born
> that way.
>
> I'm writing a series of fantasies for young readers... series title "Little
> Horrors". Now, the bracket story is that two water hags, named Maggie Nabbie
> and Auld Anni, have felt their power and influence slipping. They meet up
> with a third water hag, Kirsty Breeks, and together they set up an Abademy
> of Badness for young Bad Fairies.
>
> The idea is to take those with a natural tendency to be bad fairies and help
> them use the tendency properly so they're a pinch of salt in the soup and
> not a blight on the land.
>
> As I go in the series, the underlying mythology is expanding, and I have
> lately discovered that Kirsty Breeks had a nephew who married a human woman
> and was "turned". (Like a vampire turning a human, but in reverse...)
>
> Now my problem is one of nomenclature. Hags are all female, right? So
> Kirsty's nephew was presumably the male version. What would THAT be called?
>
> Just to clarify, my Water Hags have strong natural magic. They are neither
> wholly evil nor benign. They believe in natural retribution, natural justice
> and if they catch a young man prowling where he shouldn't be, they'll seduce
> him into the loch. They are not ugly, but usually appear as elderly
> eccentric women dressed in tattered tartans, earth colours and big bare
> feet. They like shawls and bagpipes, and one of them has a pet loch-monster
> called Vetch.
>
> So, Oh mythology experts, what would a male water hag be called?
>
> Sallyo

I Googled for fun, and didn't turn up anything directly useful, but
there were references to hagspawn.

Apparently, some people object to having male hags in the new Dungeons
and Dragons, 4th ed.  Hags are offspring of some goddess-or-other, hence
no male hags exist (are killed at birth in one telling.)

There were also references to "Methusalahs", which are male and are
similar to hags.

--
Mark Allums