[DWJ] Various

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Apr 4 06:26:25 EDT 2008

and Farah wrote:

>shredded carrot = shudder.
>
>I don't know why either as I love raw carrot, and cooked carrot in all other
>modes.

I find carrot hideously dry when it is shredded, and altogether too easy to
inhale a strand by accident and have a coughing fit over it.  Really not
loveable as a foodstuff.  And very finely-grated apple is a good corrective
for an upset stomach (seriously; this works for babies, and is much safer
than drugs for them, and I've heard it recommended by old wives, midwives
and Roamany wise women, at one time and another) but if one isn't a baby
with the squits it's much easier just to eat the apple unshredded, and if
the peel gets caught in one's teeth one could always take that off first
and use it as a divinatory tool if that happens to be something one does...

Some time if we happen to coincide in the same place as a grater, a raw
eating-apple and a raw carrot I'll take the time to peel, core, shred and
mix the two, and you may try one mouthful.  I'll eat the rest; you can't
have it, it's *mine*!

Minnow