[DWJ] Various

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Apr 3 19:27:57 EDT 2008

Joe wrote

>"I apologise about Vierran," said Reigner Three. "What is this white
>stuff that looks like cat sick and tastes like cardboard?"
>
>"An aberration," said Reigner One. "Made of cabbage. Cabbage is a
>vegetable that came to Earth from Yurov along with the earliest
>convicts."
>
>Remembering this cheers me up every time I get served a dollop of
>coleslaw on the side of whatever I'm having. It's not our fault; even
>cabbage isn't really our fault, it came from Yurov. Does anyone,
>anywhere, actually eat the coleslaw when it appears on their plate?

Depends on how hungry I am.  Some days I remind myself that I was once told
that rats get as much nourishment from a cornflake packet as they get from
the cornflakes inside it, ounce for ounce, and eat coleslaw.

I'm sure there are *reasons* for coleslaw, but in general I assume that it
is associated with extreme need or even starvation.  In that case I can
understand shredded cabbage, and minute bits of occasional raw onion, and
ditto shredded carrot, as being one way to try to make something very basic
into something marginally more appealing than just chomping on a whole
cabbage very slowly to fill the gut and fool it into delusions of
prosperity, but I continue to be baffled by the watery mayonnaisealike it
swims in.  If mayonnaise, why not *mayonnaise*?  How do they persuade it to
be watery?

Given my druthers I druther chew a raw parsnip.

Minnow