[DWJ] Various

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 18:44:22 EDT 2008

On 3 Apr 2008, at 07:47, Juliette Curtis wrote:
<snip>

> My goodness, there's a lot of food in DWJ after all!

I think we've only scratched the surface.

Hexwood, for example, has a loving description of the contents of
Mordion's stass-tray: Yurov keranip, bread, collops from Iony in
barinda sauce, some sort of fried seaweed, and den beans in cheese.
There's the banquet that provides a turning point in the plot. And
later, it has one of my favourite exchanges anywhere in DWJ's work:

"I apologise about Vierran," said Reigner Three. "What is this white
stuff that looks like cat sick and tastes like cardboard?"

"An aberration," said Reigner One. "Made of cabbage. Cabbage is a
vegetable that came to Earth from Yurov along with the earliest
convicts."

Remembering this cheers me up every time I get served a dollop of
coleslaw on the side of whatever I'm having. It's not our fault; even
cabbage isn't really our fault, it came from Yurov. Does anyone,
anywhere, actually eat the coleslaw when it appears on their plate?

Joe