[DWJ] Books to avoid

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Sep 7 11:55:38 EDT 2007

Melissa:

>  >Would it do anything to share vicariously in my discovery that the
>>next - and last - Casson family book is out already?  (At least over
>>This Side.) Just wandered into a bookshop and found it sitting there.
>>I thought there'd be much more of a wait before it was out.
>
>Seriously?  I have to see about getting it.  I wasn't satisfied with _Caddy
>Ever After_, and I'm eager for more.  I need something to read.

Yup, seriously.  I finished it rather late last night, when I should
have been asleep.  I'm still trying to sort out whether I agree with
Hilary McKay that it's the best of them.  (I think I linked to this
on my LJ rather than here already - it's a great interview:
http://tinyurl.com/2hycom .)  I loved it,  though obviously whether
that means anything about your response depends on whether the things
you found unsatisfying about Caddy were the same as the ones I did or
not...  (Prolonged sleep loss = bad sentence structure.) It's a
tighter book in some ways, as it's all Rose's POV.  I did miss
Indigo's voice, as I thought his sections one of the best things
about Caddy, but Rose is missing him too, and so it's right for
*this* book. And I found Rose's swings between being manipulative and
self-centred and being frighteningly selfless and understanding
deeply moving.  And oh - David...  Yikes.

Anyway, it ends in a way I found very satisfying indeed, and still
credible for these characters.  And I may know what I think better
after I've done an LJ write-up.  Or not.

>I should NEVER say that my day is dull again.  Wednesday afternoon, while
>dragging my eldest through a horrible grammar lesson, I was interrupted by
>some neighbor children shouting that they'd brought us a kitten they'd
>rescued.  It turned out to be two weeks old and terrified and tiny, and now
>I am involved (since these kids are the "parents" of our youngest cat and
>they were confident I could figure out what to do, ha, let's hope so) in
>what has a fifty percent chance, according to the vet, of turning out very
>badly indeed.  On the plus side, he's a strong little critter and eats very
>well and purrs like crazy; unfortunately, he seems to be developing an eye
>infection, which is the biggest obstacle we have to overcome.

Poor thing!  (Kitten and you and all the kids involved).  But good
that he's strong and eating well and obviously happy.

Hallie