[DWJ] DWJ appreciation

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Sep 6 09:32:58 EDT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> I wish adults pushing children's books didn't feel the need to write
> apologias, explaining how this particular book transcends its intended
> audience. What it reveals, sadly, is ignorance about the accessibility
> of young adult and children's books to adults.

I completely agree with you; but this woman is old enough to have kids old
enough to have DWJ books read to them, so perhaps she more often writes
about adult books. However, my mother gladly read all of DWJ's books at
the same time as my sister and I; and, unlike many others of my childhood
favorites, there's not a single DWJ book that hasn't gotten *better* with
time. None of her books give adult-reader-me a sense that the story is too
thin, too pat, too plot-driven to be wholly enjoyable other than as an
exercise in nostalgia.

> -deborah, who thinks that on average, children's and young adult
> books are better written than adult

I love that line of DWJ's about when she was writing A Sudden Wild Magic,
that one has to explain things more often to adults, whereas children just
understand. It's so opposite from "common knowledge," and so much more
true.