[DWJ] literary consultation

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Oct 31 14:51:37 EDT 2007

That is, I wish to consult the literary lights of this list.

That is, everybody.

I am a devotee of Mr. Pratchett.  There is a device he uses
very, very frequently, and I want to know if there is a
technical term for it.

He will substitute a word in a common phrase with one
that fits the Discworld.  For example, when referring to
something that is always active, he says 24/8.  When
people swear, they say "by gods".  These are terribly
humdrum examples.  He is the master of this device.

Here's another one:  In Soul Music, Buddy has fallen
asleep and Glod says of him, "Out like a candle.'
At another point the Archchancellor says "What on
Disc for?"

I don't think they're just puns.  Goodness knows,
he can pun with the best.
So is there some simple name?

The word “aerobics” came about when the gym instructors
got together and said, “If we’re going to charge $10 an
hour, we can’t call it ‘jumping up and down.’”

                                              -- Rita Rudner