[DWJ] dalemark

Wed Oct 10 19:03:13 EDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:24:16 +0100, Charles Butler wrote:

>I liked *Drowned Ammet* best, got to say. *Spellcoats* comes second,
>followed by *CoD* and *C&C*. I love the way she handles gods in DA. That
>strange, nebulous, in-and-out feeling, those sequestered spots like LIbby
>Beer's island, where goddishness can wash up and solidify and be tangible,
>while in other places it's hard to see beyond a kind of materialist struggle
>against oppressors, and all this without the story's ever feeling as if it
>were going to shiver into many incompatible stories - is what I like best.

That's exactly how I feel about _Drowned Ammet_, which is also my favorite.
I read it last of the original trio (and just before _Crown of Dalemark_)
and I think reading it as an adult affected my perceptions of it.  I'm
pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten all of that subtext if I'd read it as a
young teen--I know I wouldn't have put the rebels' struggle in any sort of
historical context, nor would I have picked up on the subtleties of divine
immanence.  It also has this lovely, gloomy, overcast feel to it that makes
me feel happy inside, like a day at the beach in late fall.  Maybe I should
read that again.  I'm not feeling very motivated to read the new Robin
McKinley book.

Melissa Proffitt