[DWJ] Twilight and New Moon (Was: Discussing now: What?)

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 10 13:32:57 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 08:10:22AM -0400, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> >I have come to the conclusion that it was a quite dreadful novel which
> >contained some absolutely brilliantly stunningly perfect sexual tension.
>
> It really is perfect, isn't it? And I'm actually glad it will
> remain forever tension, not just for reasons mentioned by others,
> but simply because Unresolved Sexual Tension is so much more fun
> to read. Moonlighting syndrome.
>
> (Actually, in some ways that makes it not fan fiction at all. One
> could argue that many of the impulses for fan fiction, especially
> when people first come to the genre, are rooted in the pleasure
> of reading/watching Unresolved Sexual Tension and wanting to
> resolve it -- again and again and again. There's  lots more out
> there than that, of course, but the resolution of any kind of
> unresolved tension is one of the more common forms of fan
> fiction.)
>
> -deborah

I don't mind things being Unresolved (sex or other plot tension) unless the
author is baiting the reader and setting it all up to be resolved and
then completely contrary to the nature of the characters or plot, yanks
the dangling resolution away, again and again.  With regard to
Unresolved Sexual Tension, I found the tv series Dark Angel to be
particularly bad for that Dangle-Yoink effect.

--
Allison Marles
Freelance Writer, Editor, Web Designer, Artist