[DWJ] Reading Aloud (and a not-OT PS)

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 10 12:53:32 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:45:27PM +1000, Aimee Smith wrote:
> Dear Everyone who replied:
>
> Thank you for your outflow of suggestions! Much appreciated - and no
> particular need to stop!
>
> I was always intending to ask the residents what they'd like to hear,
> of course. My original inquiry was intended to forearm me with a
> basic set of ideas or a pool of books for the first visit. Probably I
> could have been clearer.
>
> Meanwhile, my interest in the subject has developed ever so slightly,
> so that now I am interested in the subject for it's own sake. I enjoy
> reading out loud, and would like to know of books that are
> particularly good or lend themselves to the art. Several of the ones
> suggested sound interesting, so no change in the brief.
>
> I wonder, do many small public libraries have 'reading out loud'
> clubs or parties or children's hour any more / at all? That might be
> fun. Anybody ever do it? I might have to ask at my local library...
>
> Thank you all very much! I'll let you know how it goes.

Montreal has rather informal gatherings known as "Milk & Cookies
evenings" where people all bring some cookies and something to read
(usually not entire novels though).  Sort of bedtime stories for adults.
I suspect this idea probably exists in other cities too, and it's just a
matter of finding someone who's involved to invite you.

Allison