[DWJ] OA McKinley (was authors' thoughts on knowing)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Oct 9 23:49:01 EDT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Minnow wrote:
> I read *Dragonhaven* about six weeks ago and enjoyed it enormously, but it
> certainly isn't what I expected her to write, and yes, maybe it does give
> slightly more about the very personal world of its narrator than I need.
> On the other hand the narrator certainly doesn't know everything, and has
> in fact no information to impart about vast acres of the world (never
> having been to them nor heard/read about them, I assume) so they're
> available for me to look into and speculate about quietly without the
> author looking over my shoulder.

It's not that I think the book tells me everything about, say,
the London public transit system.  But it tells me far more than
I need to know about Jake and Lois and the Institute.  I'm glad
McKinley knew all that when she wrote the book, but she told me
*too much* of it.  Not as too much as in Spindle's End, but still
too much.

-deborah
--
"You do not have to do everything disagreeable that you have a
right to do." 		-- Judith Martin (Miss Manners)