[DWJ] authors' thoughts on knowing

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Oct 9 10:28:35 EDT 2007

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, shawyer at mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> I agree with Gili about how a coy author can be frustrating and a turn off. Do
> they not trust the reader not to give away information to the characters?
> Perhaps they do, if their characters aren't particularly well-drawn. . .

There's the great Megan Whalen Turner  debate which we've had
here before: does Turner cheat by keeping too much information up
her sleeve, or does she keep just enough secrets to involve the
reader in the satisfaction of solving the puzzle.

Personally, the second book in the Attolia trilogy packs the most
emotional punch for me, but the third book is the most successful
in its coyness. Because the reader already knows, if she has read
the previous two books, but the authors keeping secrets, and
because she even knows that the narrator is wrong about his
interpretation of characters and their actions, their reader
participates in trying to figure out what is actually going on
from the very beginning of the book.

-deborah
--
You klingon bastard, you killed my son.  You klingon bastard, you killed my
son.  You ... Klingon ... bastard ... you ...