[DWJ] authors' thoughts on knowing

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 9 10:14:46 EDT 2007

I agree with Gili about how a coy author can be frustrating and a turn off. Do
they not trust the reader not to give away information to the characters?
Perhaps they do, if their characters aren't particularly well-drawn. . .

Another reason "Archer's Goon" works is that we get lots of information near the
beginning, from Mountjoy at the municipal offices. Of course, some of this
information is correct, and some is not-quite-right. As readers we have to
determine whether to trust him or not. The information is given under duress,
but then the Goon does seem surprised at the extent of Mountjoy's information.
So we know that some of it is correct, and with that, we can enjoy puzzling
things out in the novel and comparing new developments to what we learn at the
beginning.

Sue