[DWJ] authors' thoughts on knowing

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Oct 9 09:17:33 EDT 2007

not knowing can be frustrating, and an author being coy with the readers can
be a turn-off; I particularly hate it when authors are directing their plot
in a very predictable direction, but writing characters who are constantly
suprised by the predictable things that happen to them. Or, when the entire
plot stalls because the characters need not to be able to know how the
mysteries will resolve, so nothing can happen for a while ("Harry Potter and
the Deathly Hallows" comes to mind).  I do agree though, that part of DWJ's
genius is how unpredictable she is, even while things are constantly
happening and evolving. "Archer's Goon" is one of her best books in this
respect: we understand the dynamics between the characters and get to see
them doing lots of different things as they attempt to solve their
mysteries, and yet every new development seems to come totally out of left
field, up until almost the very end.