[DWJ] literary consultation

Allison Marles Gryski apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 1 14:18:03 EDT 2007

I would just refer to it as modified idiom.  That's not an
Official Term for it, but just how I'd describe it simply.

DWJ does it as well, like using "Magic" as a swear word in
Witch Week.

Allison

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 12:51:37PM -0600, Otter Perry wrote:
> That is, I wish to consult the literary lights of this list.
>
> That is, everybody.
>
> I am a devotee of Mr. Pratchett.  There is a device he uses
> very, very frequently, and I want to know if there is a
> technical term for it.
>
> He will substitute a word in a common phrase with one
> that fits the Discworld.  For example, when referring to
> something that is always active, he says 24/8.  When
> people swear, they say "by gods".  These are terribly
> humdrum examples.  He is the master of this device.
>
> Here's another one:  In Soul Music, Buddy has fallen
> asleep and Glod says of him, "Out like a candle.'
> At another point the Archchancellor says "What on
> Disc for?"
>
> I don't think they're just puns.  Goodness knows,
> he can pun with the best.
> So is there some simple name?

> The word “aerobics” came about when the gym instructors
> got together and said, “If we’re going to charge $10 an
> hour, we can’t call it ‘jumping up and down.’”
>
>                                              -- Rita Rudner

Allison Marles Gryski
Freelance Writer, Editor, Web Designer, Artist
Website: http://outersphere.dynalias.net/~apm/
Photography: http://www.istockphoto.com/eoj