[DWJ] literary consultation

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Thu Nov 1 02:47:54 EDT 2007

Mark Allums wrote:
>> I don't think they're just puns.  Goodness knows,
>> he can pun with the best.
>> So is there some simple name?
>
> I don't think this is quite the word for it, but the exaggerated
> understatement is "litotes", if I have got the spelling correct. Denying
> the opposite, that is.  I don't think there is a single term for making
> the words fit the setting, is there?

Let me clarify:  There is another term for understatement:  "Meiosis".
It is the same word [homograph?] as the process of cell division.  The
opposite is "auxesis", or hyperbole.  Wikipedia has a whole list of
figures of speech; perhaps what you are looking for is one of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech

The trope, "metonymy", shows promise, but is not really exactly what you
mean.

--Mark