[DWJ] shelving (was Film Rights and miscellaneous rants.)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu May 24 20:01:21 EDT 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 10:03 AM, Irina Rempt wrote:

> On Thursday 24 May 2007, Otter Perry wrote:
>> On May 23, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
>>> Gosh, that's more than two Bryants* of books.  Wow!  I
>>> had about 2500, but I succumbed to two great book purges
>>> and now I have around 1200.  I regret both purges.
>>
>> The older you get* and, more importantly, the more times
>> you have to move the whole collection, the easier it is to purge.
>>
>> I only very occasionally regret books lost in a purge.  I
>> spend more time regretting lack of shelf space for the
>> books I still have.
>
> You can't be older than me, surely?
> <snippage>  I'll be 50 on my next birthday
> (admittedly in nine months) (and a day) but I'm still extremely wary of
> over-purging, even though we're going to move house in less than a
> month
> (workmen willing).

I'll be 60 _my_ next birthday and it's less than a month away.

There are whole subject matters I have gotten rid of.  And I'll
probably get rid of more when I get to the right boxes.  I'm
just tired of having stuff.

And I live in quite a small house now.

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I
craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a
meaningful vision of human life--so I became
a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop
so you can meet girls.

                                  -- Matt Cartmill