[DWJ] shelving (was Film Rights and miscellaneous rants.)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu May 24 12:03:32 EDT 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007, Otter Perry wrote:
> On May 23, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
> > Gosh, that's more than two Bryants* of books.  Wow!  I
> > had about 2500, but I succumbed to two great book purges
> > and now I have around 1200.  I regret both purges.
>
> The older you get* and, more importantly, the more times
> you have to move the whole collection, the easier it is to purge.
>
> I only very occasionally regret books lost in a purge.  I
> spend more time regretting lack of shelf space for the
> books I still have.

You can't be older than me, surely? I purged my books radically when I thought
I was going to England to live (which Thatcher effectively made impossible)
and I've bought almost everything back since. I'll be 50 on my next birthday
(admittedly in nine months) (and a day) but I'm still extremely wary of
over-purging, even though we're going to move house in less than a month
(workmen willing).

   Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.          http://www.valdyas.org/irina/