[DWJ] shelving (was Film Rights and miscellaneous rants.)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu May 24 11:26:44 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Mark Allums wrote:

> Gosh, that's more than two Bryants* of books.  Wow!  I
> had about 2500, but I succumbed to two great book purges
> and now I have around 1200.  I regret both purges.

The older you get* and, more importantly, the more times
you have to move the whole collection, the easier it is to purge.

I only very occasionally regret books lost in a purge.  I
spend more time regretting lack of shelf space for the
books I still have.

*That is, when you get old enough to think 'am I really
ever going to read this again' and 'what about the poor
folks who are going to have to deal with all this some
day in the future which is a lot less distant than it once
was'