[DWJ] DIR latest

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed May 23 04:46:24 EDT 2007

>On May 22, 2007, at 9:25 AM, Minnow wrote:
>
>> Otter wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to remember that Terry Pratchett actually bought back the
>>> film rights for a book of his.

I asked:

>> Would that have been *Mort*, after the pre-production team from
>> Hollywood
>> said they weren't sure how this Death guy would go down with American
>> audiences and he was going to have to be written out?

and Otter replied:

>Unfortunately, I don't know.
>
>I know that up until he met with the guy who did "Hogfather",
>he hadn't met any film people who "got it".  Except maybe
>Terry Gilliam with "Good Omens" which I believe keeps running
>into horrible money problems.

When there was originally talk about someone making a film of Good Omens,
before Neil went to the States so maybe tens years ago or more, Terry rang
Neil up and said, "I've just had Hollywood on the phone for hours, and they
said they were going to ring you about it, but I've no idea what 'it' was.
Could you try to find out what they're on about?"  Shortly after, the phone
rang and Neil answered it and said "Uh-huh" at intervals for about
half-an-hour, then rang Terry and said, "I don't know either either.  I
think they just rang up to be Very Sincere."

I get the feeling that probably never came to anything, and I can't think
it would have been anything but Good Omens that involved those two people
and Hollywood.

Not surpiring if Terry (Pratchett as opposed to Gilliam, how confusing of
them!) wasn't impressed by that particular incident.

Minnow