[DWJ] Film Rights and miscellaneous rants.

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue May 22 20:10:41 EDT 2007

On May 22, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Sally Odgers wrote:

> I wonder how HMC strikes people who have seen the movie first? And -
> has anyone novelised the movie backwards yet? Or graphic-novelled it?
> (Still haven't seen the movie. Still mightily teed-off that they made
> it in animation.)

Studio Ghibli published it in graphic form, but all the images
are from the movie.  I think the dialog is, too.

My favorite story of novelizing a movie backwards involves
the 1962 movie of Taras Bulba.  As we all know, it's from a
novel by Nikolai Gogol.  I've never seen the movie, although
I wanted to at the time, but I read Gogol.  Then I saw a
novelization of the movie in paperback.  I thought it was
very stupid to do that.  Very, very stupid.