[DWJ] Film Rights and miscellaneous rants.

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Tue May 22 12:31:26 EDT 2007

Melissa, quoting Sally:

>> I wonder how HMC strikes people who have seen the movie first? And -
>> has anyone novelised the movie backwards yet? Or graphic-novelled it?
>> (Still haven't seen the movie. Still mightily teed-off that they made
>> it in animation.)
>
> All of my kids saw the movie before they read the book.  This is my
> usual approach for myself, since I don't mind picking up a book after
> seeing a movie (the Bourne novels leap to mind).  They loved it--as
> in, saw it in the theater, watched the DVD about three times in a row
> when we bought it, etc. I mean, if you think about HMC as an original
> film, it's quite stunning.

How strange.  I took Sally's remark as meaning, What would people think
of the _book_ if their first exposure to HMC was the film?

> I've seen the graphic novel in passing, but my kids haven't been
> interested in getting it (the one child who loves manga is into the
> teen romance stuff, save me).  It's just what you'd expect: stills
> from the movie, with dialogue bubbles.  Beats a true novelization of a
> movie based on a novel any day.

I saw a copy in Forbidden Planet when the London meet-up went there.  I
thought it was pretty pathetic, actually.  Stills from movies are not an
easy thing to get right, actually.  Rules of composition are different,
and scenes that work well with movement often fail completely without
it.  But I agree a novelisation of the film could easily be worse
still...

Philip
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432