[DWJ] Film Rights and miscellaneous rants.

Tue May 22 11:06:11 EDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007 00:28:00 +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:

>I wonder how HMC strikes people who have seen the movie first? And - has
>anyone novelised the movie backwards yet? Or graphic-novelled it?  (Still
>haven't seen the movie. Still mightily teed-off that they made it in
>animation.)

All of my kids saw the movie before they read the book.  This is my usual
approach for myself, since I don't mind picking up a book after seeing a
movie (the Bourne novels leap to mind).  They loved it--as in, saw it in the
theater, watched the DVD about three times in a row when we bought it, etc.
I mean, if you think about HMC as an original film, it's quite stunning.
It's only when you compare it to the book that it goes a little sour.  I
can't remember if any of them have read the book yet.  Teleri might have.
I'm thinking not, though, because I'm sure we would have talked about it.

I've seen the graphic novel in passing, but my kids haven't been interested
in getting it (the one child who loves manga is into the teen romance stuff,
save me).  It's just what you'd expect: stills from the movie, with dialogue
bubbles.  Beats a true novelization of a movie based on a novel any day.

I had to explain this concept to the kids one time, when one of them showed
interest in a novelization of a favorite movie; there's the novelization,
and then there's the original book.  It still makes my head try to explode
just a little, even though I understand the marketing principle.

However, my boy and I have been enjoying the Young Jack Sparrow
books--juveniles based on the Pirates of the Caribbean movie character--very
much.  I did not expect these to be any better than your typical book-shaped
object media-tie-in ploy, and was extremely surprised at the author's talent
and inventiveness.  I know there's no reason for a novelization (or tie-in
novels like this) to be any good, intrinsically, so I'm especially pleased
to find something that bucks the trend.

Melissa Proffitt