[DWJ] Film Rights and miscellaneous rants.

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Tue May 22 10:28:00 EDT 2007

Of course, even if film rights don't bring in much, renewed sales of the
books should help, unless the novelisation is done by a hackette (like me,
say) for peanuts.

I was once hired to novelise the script of a film taken from a book whose
author was still alive. It was discovered, AFTER I had done the work, that
the publisher didn't have the legal right to hire a hackette, so the
novelisation of the script was quietly dropped, unpublished. They "paid" me
with one of those deluxe book sets in a slip case. I wasn't best pleased.
I've done other novelisations, and it doesn't pay well. OTOH, think of the
shock folks get if they liked Hamish Macbeth on telly, and then try reading
the MC Beaton original!

I wonder how HMC strikes people who have seen the movie first? And - has
anyone novelised the movie backwards yet? Or graphic-novelled it?  (Still
haven't seen the movie. Still mightily teed-off that they made it in
animation.)